Learning by Example

Children learn to behave by example. I know this. I have heard of this said so many times. It just dawned on me a few days ago that I might need a 13-step program for de-pottying my mouth. Really. I tend to say things like "shit" and "holy shit" and "f*@k" when extremely annoyed. Sometimes, I combined the two for more satisfying feel.

I am not usually "extremely annoyed" therefore it wasn't much of a problem. Lately, with moving, dealing with workmen and other forms of annoying people, I hadn't realized how much I have been cussing.

My son, Yossi, is very observant about lights. He notices when one is on or off or broken. We were driving towards McDonald's drive-through when he said, "Holy shit, those lights are broken, Mommy." I was taken aback. I mean, it was perfect diction. I was so impressed by the clear diction and horrified when I processed his whole sentence.

I think it will take 3 months for him to forget this really cool expression. Yesterday, he tripped over a toy on the floor and said, "Oh shit!" When I asked if he meant I should "sit" he clariffied for me. O.M.G. I am so totally turning over a new leaf.

I have lived my life until I was in my late 20s without saying those cuss words. With age, instead of wisdom, I get inventive with cussing? I guess, I must change. I don't think I want to hear Yossi, then Yoash saying things like that. Not until they're a little grown anyway.

Yoav used to say "Damn" a lot. He had stopped saying it lately because I haven't said anything about it lately. D doesn't cuss in front of the children. He gets annoyed but somehow managed to not used these words.

So, what should I replace my favorite expression with? I have been pondering about that question. With motherhood comes responsibility of the little people who are constantly listening and taking on my actions. I must have an "extremely annoyed" words, but it has to be innocent enough so when my little darlings adapts it, it's not so horrifying.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's any better or not, but I find myself saying "shite" rther than shit ...

And my aunt, who curses like a truck driver, now says "Snickerdoodle" rather than shit. A word which my son loves and now uses when he's frustrated!

Simple American said...

I always like how the show Firefly cussed in Chinese. But that may not be what you are looking for either. Expecially if you go to a Chinese restaurant.

But I notice if I have a less than desireable habit, the kids will lock in and adopt it. Ouch!

Anonymous said...

ang ako imbis naminyo ug na tigulang na ayha pa nag tuon ug SHIT nga word hahha mogawas ra pod ni nga word ug di mi magka sinabot ni vana hehehe

Hala ka noh, si Yosi hope nga malimtan na niya nga expression. :)

Girlie said...

Chaos, I think that snickerdoodle would be much better than the ones I used now.

Girlie said...

SA: Well, I used to swear in German, but then my duaghter started swearing in German, and with lots of Yiddish people in my community, that didn't go too well either.

I stopped actually, then picked it up again.

Girlie said...

Ethel, minyo na pod ko nakatoon us balikas kay labhan gyod ni Mama akong baba ug iya kong madungan. I wasn't even aloud to say any word with might sound like a swear.

I feel like a smoker about to quit. It's tough you know.

Stacey said...

It took my son several months to quit saying shitty after he'd heard it from me.
When I'm around the kids I tend to say "fudge, or crap (although thats probably not such a good substitute either).

Thanks for stoppin by my blog the other day.

Anonymous said...

I did a fairly good job watching my languge, but they picked up my nasty soda habit. You have to clean up everything!!

best home teeth whitener

Mari said...

Try substituting 'shoosh' for shit, muck for f**k, or something. It might work.

Mari said...

I like your new layout.

louann said...

i don't substitute cuss words...i try my best to just not say any of it at all!! V. hard though. As they say, Monkey see, Monkey do...Monkey hear, Monkey say :)