![]() |
1. MOSQUITO BITES. To get rid of the itch try applying soap on the area and you will experience immediate relief. Haemorrhoid cream also does the trick. I am not sure how many have this in their house. I know I didn't own one until baby #4. I think I don't have it anymore. There's a sudden influx of mosquitoes where I am. They're nasty creatures, they are. 2. HEADACHE. Take a lime, cut it in half and rub on your forehead. Throbbing will go away. 3. When peeling garlic, thump the clove with the side of a knife or cleaver and the skin will lift away easily. 4. BEE STINGS. Bees leave their stings in, so first priority is to carefully remove the sting. Then soothe the skin with a solution of bicarbonate soda and water. 5. HEAVY DUNDRUFF. Pour on vinegar. 6. How fresh are your eggs? Put egg in to 4ins. of water, if it stays on the bottom it's fresh. If one end tips up it is less fresh and if it floats to the top it is either bad or at the stage where it will be impossible to fry without breaking. 7. Hard boiled eggs - To prevent the outside of the yolk turning black, immediately after cooking plunge the egg into cold water and allow to cool down. To prevent them crumbling when sliced, wet the knife first. 8. To remove excess fat/grease from soup or gravy, dip a slice of fresh bread gently into the liquid and this will absorb the fat. Alternatively, use a clean piece of kitchen towel, however, great care should be taken to avoid leaving any of the paper behind. 9. Smelly pans. If previous dinner smells remain in the saucepan, fill with water, add vinegar and boil up. The pan should be fine but the kitchen smells of boiled vinegar! 10. Smelly fridge or plastic containers. It is said that to prevent smells in the first place, leave a piece of charcoal on one of the shelves and this will absorb any odours. However, if there was no charcoal to hand and the fridge smells, dissolve 2 - 3 teaspoons of Bicarbonate of Soda in a pint of water and wipe out the inside of the fridge. Fill any offending plastic containers with the same mixture and leave to soak overnight - all should be odour free in the morning. 11. Burnt sauce or Gravy. pour it into a clean pan, add some sugar to it a little at a time to avoid the final result becoming too sweet - it takes the burnt flavour away. 12. Sprinkle the burnt food with baking soda, add some water and then boil or simmer - this should remove it. 13. To clean up a broken egg pour a handful of salt over it, leave for a few minutes, the salt will harden the egg enabling it to be cleaned up more easily. More hints and things here. Links to other Thursday Thirteens! (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!) |
"There is no friendship, no love, like that of the parent for the child."
-- Henry Ward Beecher
Thursday Thirteen #2
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

49 comments:
Thanks for the great tips! My TT is up!
Ha, I didn't know I could use bread to soak up the fat from soup. My mom use to just scoop it out with a lader. U could use that trick and show off to my mom. Heheh!
Err, You repeated #5 in #10...
Hi Diane, thanks for the head's up. I have to edit that. :)
I noticed the link code didn't work either...bugger.
does the headache one really work? that would be awesome!
I am SO printing this list!
Neat hints! I'm going to have to print those out and save them -- should be useful sometime. ;)
My TT is up.
I like the smell of limes ~ if that one really works it would be a double bonus! Great list!
Happy Thursday!
I first red "smelly pants" lol !
Happy TT
I've seen some of these...have you tried them?
Happy TT!
I have tried most of these myself, except the lime thing...but I've added lime to my shopping list the next time I get headache.
With five kids, it's almost guaranteed!
Now that's a helpful TT. Vinegar seems to be as useful as duct tape!
My TT are up too
Andrea
http://doamw.blogspot.com
Gattina, LOL...maybe it will work for smelly pants!
I have few of those. I have little ones and after they just got out of diapers, it's smelly pants a-plenty!
Don't worry about having a hard time decorating. Know that I have to copy ideas sometimes in order to get a decent looking house! LOL! Anyhow, I'm not great at it either so I will get ideas from pictures and then copy their ideas to the best I can. I'm not creative enough to just think of it myself. :) I just one day found the style I loved and the colors I loved. I went from there.
I hate mosquitos. My 7 mo old son just got attacked by them yesterday and has about 20 welts on his legs. buggers.
Great lists and very useful tips.
Thanks for passing by.
Colleen, ditto! I have no idea why they're suddenly swarming now that summer is almost over. My baby's head has huge welts on it. He's only 6 months. Poor thing!
Jenny, about decorating..I'll probably have to wait until my 4 boys are done with their un-decorating phase.
Oh some nice ideas. I'll send my human over. She can always use those cleaning tips--unlike me.
Thanks for the tip about egg freshness - that one ALWAYS makes me nervous, LOL! Happy TT!
these are things i can use. thanks!
thank you also for visiting my tt this week.
This is a really useful and practical list - I'll be using some of these remedies!!
Those are fantastic! Many I never knew. Thanks!
You gotta love that versatile vinegar.
I use it with Bicarbonate of Soda to make a non toxic cleaning paste...which interstingly fits in with one of my thirteen; that one being - the dangers of cleaning products.
Another thing that works well for mosquito bites as well as the occasional pimple is aspirin. Crush an aspirin tablet and mix with just enough water to make a paste. Spread the paste over the mosquito bite or pimple. The salicylic acid will dry up both and alleviate ichiness.
My T13 is about breast cancer.
Useful things to know!
Thanks for stopping by.
I love helpful hints and I'm going to try some of these (well, not the headache one, since I am pretty sure that won't cure a migraine!)
Great list! I am going to go home and soak my head in vinegar since nothing else seems to work!
Thanks for stopping by.
Ooh, great list! Does the mosquito one really work? We have them here by the hundreds, and they love me. I have bites on my legs all summer :(
Thanks for stopping by my T13 earlier, and have a great day!!!
well those are really helpful...good thing i haven't been stung by a bee...i will bookmark this because you've listed some of the basic remedies for mostly basic stuff we do everyday. very neat. but...vinegar for dandruff? ew haha...
my TT is up, drop by if u can =)
Yeah, the mosquito one helps a lot!
It works for my son who gets nasty reactions to bites.
i like number 2 and 10..thanks for great useful tips!
those are sure helpful, thanks for sharing! =)
thanks nga pala for visiting my blog. can I link you up? thanks! lastly, are you Susan? hope you don't mind me asking. =)
Hi Ligaya, sure you can link me.
And no, I am not Susan. I am Filipina though...does that count?
What excellent suggestions! I only recently learned how to tell how old an egg is, and it's already made a difference for some of the things I like to bake. Cheers!
Hi Soshana! Na-add na kita, thanks ha? =)
Salamat sa clarification, just thought na baka ikaw si Susan dahil siguro sa parang magkaparehas kayo ng sound ng pangalan. Pasensiya na ha? I really appreciate it.
ingat! =)
Very Helpful...thank you! Have a great TT!
Ooooh! Great list! I need to print these off....
I'm not sure how many are going to pour vinegar all over their head.
I love remedy's that don't include Dr's!
Thanks for visiting me!
great list!
Wow...everyone has such cute photos...guess I had better get one for myself. :-) Anyways....mahalo for this list! I never knew that about eggs...Blessings, Kuanyin
Wow, that was a very informative list.
Thanks for sharing.
Happy TT!
Great tips! I've also heard that a cuccumber on the forehead works for headaches.
Those are great tips! Thanks.
When shpanking it, one should apply gentle pressure with the right knuckle to the taint region for maximum efficiency.
www.crashtestcomc.com
I like this list too...I printed one on my ref, but the mosquito one works, the egg works, not sure about the lime on forehead, but I will try it later.
shoshana, you're a genius. I just love your blogs. i did ask u for help with add ons and templates but was a bit impatient to learn. but i'd love to learn. where's the best place to learn and add on?
These are my linkies links:
Select Number Name Link URL Age of entry
29 myende http://myende.blogspot.com/ 0.5 weeks ago
28 Crashtest Comic http://crashtestcomic.blogspot.com/ 1 week ago
27 TC http://skinniereverafter.blogspot.com/ 1 week ago
26 KarenW http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/KarenW 1 week ago
25 Brony http://mentalmommy.blogspot.com 1 week ago
24 melanie http://www.milesellisjohnson.blogspot.com 1 week ago
23 Janet http://www.fondofsnape.com 1 week ago
22 Alethea http://humans.scienceboard.net 1 week ago
21 Mysterious Lady http://mysteriousladyclues.blogspot.com 1 week ago
20 Barbara H. http://barbarah.wordpress.com/2006/10/05/thursday-thirteen-features-i-want-in-my-next-house/ 1 week ago
19 taraden http://www.taraden.wordpress.com 1 week ago
18 Cin http://aventurista.blogspot.com 1 week ago
17 Summer http://www.summers57.blogspot.com 1 week ago
16 Irene's Pregnant Pauses http://www.mypregnantpauses.blogspot.com 1 week ago
15 Nikki http://ercoire.org/lumineux 1 week ago
14 Stacy K Hammons http://www.hambones.org/blogs/stacy 1 week ago
13 Crazy Fat Chick http://crazyfatchick.blogspot.com 1 week ago
12 nat http://natsthename.blogspot.com/2006/10/thursday-thirteen.html 1 week ago
11 Kathy http://www.ben-gal.tripod.com 1 week ago
10 Stitching Angel http://stitchingangel.blogspot.com/ 1 week ago
9 Incog http://www.highlandwarriors.blogspot.com 1 week ago
8 delightfulduchess http://www.delightfulduchess.blogspot.com 1 week ago
7 kaye http://www.tinkerkaye.blogspot.com 1 week ago
6 adventures in juggling http://www.adventuresinjuggling.blogspot.com 1 week ago
5 Lindsey http://www.mysuspensionofdisbelief.com/ 1 week ago
4 Cheysuli http://www.mysiamese.com/wordpress 1 week ago
3 JO http://joarduo.blogspot.com/2006/10/thursday-thirteen-4.html 1 week ago
2 Colleen http://www.thecolleenscene.blogspot.com 1 week ago
1 Andrea http://doamw.blogspot.com 1 week ago
re #2. gives new meaning to the lyrics of that song...put the lime on the coconut and call me in the morning. or something like that. i read that tip and suddenly that old tune was in my head and won't quit.
lotta good tips here.
Post a Comment