![]() |
1. Some tribes of people, like the Assam in Africa, don't call themselves families. They call themselves "maharis", or "motherhoods." [I like "families" coz I am sure that my children are much better off with my husband around fathering them too.] 2. In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson signed the orders that made Mother's Day a national holiday. [I didn't know this, but it's one more reason to remember President Wilson] 3. The average child will eat 15 pounds of cereal in a year. [Except my DS1 as he's allergic to most cereal. He does eat a lot of meat. It's like Atkin's diet, except unintentional, y'all] 4. Aside from medical costs, it's been determined that new parents in the U.S. typically spend $7,000 in a baby's first year on everything from diapers to formula to day care. [Hmm, I don't think I've reached this number yet. Maybe because my baby wears a lot of hand-me-downs from his older brothers, no daycare, and he's breastfeed.] 5. Babies in the womb will also react to sudden loud noises, even if their mother's ears are muffled. [I knew this one because my daughter, while I was pregnant with her, does not like my DH snoring on my lap. She actually kicked him in response to the snoring. I'll never forget it...the kick was strong enough to interrupt my husband's snores] 6. Children born in the month of May are on the average 200 grams heavier at birth than children born in any other month. [I'll never know, I never gave birth in May. I wonder why this is?] 7. A survey conducted at Iowa State College in 1969 suggests that a parent's stress at the time on conception plays a major role in determining a baby's sex. [Hmm, like, a "y" chromosome will likely be "shaken" off if "stressed" enough? What about genetics?] 8. During pregnancy, the uterus expands to 500 times its normal size. [Mine is much much bigger! I knew it!] 9. Human reproduction follows lunar time rather than sidereal, or solar, time: Gestation is about 266 days -- nine lunar months -- and the menstrual period is one lunar month. [Is this why we have so many lunatics running loose?] 10. Sweden has the lowest birth rate in the world, 1 in 100. Malawi, in Africa, has the highest, 5.3 in 100. [How come the Chinese has the most people?] 11. In 1996 there were 100,750 (50, 375 sets) twins, 5,298 (1766 sets) triplets, 560 (140 sets) quadruplets, and 81 (16 sets) quintuplets and higher born in the USA. [These are probably NOT all nature, I bet.] 12. The child tends to be of the same sex as the parent who is under less stress. [I have four boys, enough said!] According to Aristotle, wind direction determined whether a baby would be a boy or a girl.Well, as I never really made love and conceived in a naturally windy place, I cannot say. 13. According to a survey, women prefer blue bedrooms more than other colors; men are happier with white bedrooms. [I'm with the men on this one, and my husband doesn't care which way, as long as I am happy.] |
"There is no friendship, no love, like that of the parent for the child."
-- Henry Ward Beecher
Thursday Thirteen #3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

33 comments:
Hi, I Agree That colour is very important see I blooged about this kinda things He!He!He!
Hope all goes well my friend(About four boys hmmmmm less stress) :) .
Wish you well
hey shoshana! tks for commenting on my blog!! great minds think alike, eh? I love your sidebar quotes (heh heh)... and yes, definitely back to rolos for me :) happy TTing!
That is very interesting, I learned a lot!
Thanks for visiting my TT.
very informative!
I like to know fun stuff like this. :)
Thats a great post..My friend talks about her "motherhood" frequently....Thanks for sharing
Wow, lots of fascinating tidbits of information there. :) Thanks for sharing, and thanks for stopping by. :)
Well that's certainly interesting! :)
Happy Thursday! :D
Would you mind sharing your knowledge upon a wondering blogger?! How do you get your participant links to be numbered and look so neat? Mine are so messy and it's not linked (now everyone's going to go to my blog to check out my lack of tech knowledge!) www.skyelarke.blogspot.com
nice list of fun facts.
thanx for stopping by
Hmmm no kids in May. Must be you were busy shagging a few months after May.
What a fun TT! Thanks.
very well put together fun facts...i like your answer about the wind deciding factor!! funny!
some of these confirm my decision not to have any! :)
wow those are a lots of info...info overload for a second there...but hey great list! having a baby is really expensive...so i better save up if i want one...oh wait...need to find the right husband...right. LOL. happy tt! mine's up, drop by if u can =)
Ok, those are some really cool facts!!!
Happy TT!!
Wow...the one about May babies being heavier was one I had never heard before.
Thanks for stopping by my blog! Happy TT!!
Bubba
Wow! Awesome list! Fascinating! I actually heard that couples whose bedroom is green have the highest rate of divorce (because no one looks good in green -- I guess they mean light green...) ;)
Great list! The last one is most interesting since we have two girls...
Number 3 was funny :)
And how did that wind direction thing work for Aristotle? I'm guessing not so well as he isn't exactly known for his obstetricals contributions. :)
Maybe the heavier babies in May is due to the fact that your first trimester is over around the holidays and you are finished being sick and so you EAT! And, we ALL eat more around the holidays... pregnant or not!
happy thursday! :-)
Great TT! You have 4 boys! O my word! 1 was enough for me (+ 3 girls!). LOL
Thanks for stopping by mine. Steel Magnolias has a strong chance of becoming my #13 favourite movie!
Wow...those are really interesting!
I think I eat 100 pounds of cereal in a year! The perfect food.
Thanks for stopping by.
That's a really interesting list!
Especially the May birth weight thing. My oldest & youngest were born in Dec & Oct and weighed exactly the same (6lbs 6oz). The middle one born in March and weighed 8lb 1oz...maybe it's M months :-)
I think my kids waste at least 50 pounds of that cereal each year :-)
#5 is so funny! I can identify with that one! We sleep sort of fetal style, up against one another. One night, when I was pregnant with my son, my first child, he kicked my husband SO hard, it almost kicked him off the bed! We laughed, because we figured he was going to be a big boy. He was only 7 lbs 7 ozs when he was born, but he's now 6' 4" and around 290!
Whoa, fascinating stuff. I am surprised about the stress thing and gender. Interesting and mysterious.
Hey thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!
Cheers
Candy
tungkol sa number 13, akala ko baliktad. akala ko men prefer blue bedrooms and women prefer white. hmmm...
Skylark, the neat linkies is courtesy of widget wizard from http://www.blenza.com/linkies/wizard.php
It's a cool addition to TT
Carmen, I am wondering which one put you off having children?
I admit having children's not for everyone.
Hi :)
I have tagged u :)
And of course its the guitar Im staring at :P
hehe
SS
Interesting list.
What a fascinating list! I didn't know most of that... Thanks for visiting my TT!
Post a Comment