
My husband likes to tell a chronicle of us meeting in ‘Nam. How I was a sniper slaughtering his buddies one by one. I was a sharp-shooter*. The Fall of Saigon and liberation…We met one weekend when I was eighteen, and got married less than 36 hours later. You could say it's a whirlwind romance. It was and it wasn’t!
We’ve been writing for half a year. We were averaging 6 days a week of letters with an average of 3 pages, and approximately 200 voice tapes. More him on the audio as I detest listening to my recorded voice. With that much communication, it's amazing how much of our personality is imprinted on each page.
How I managed to get good grades in my demanding BS Nursing studies and writing handwritten long letters to someone not-quite-my-sweetheart yet is pure luck. That and a younger brain which retains majority of the important information I need for my test despite markedly decreased studying hours. I was writing letters when I should have been studying.

We’ve establish an unspoken rule with our first letters that we’ve going to treat it like a conversation. Each letter takes an average of 10 days to arrive. We didn’t wait for the reply to arrive before we’d launch another one. It’s the only way we can keep the flow going. There was no electronic communication in 1991. Mails are delivered by canoes! Phone call cost a fortune, so we limit those to once or twice a month. Phone sex was certainly out of the question. As for dirty letters, I wasn’t daring enough to initiate one. He tried, but his intimation and hints went right over my head…
One day, I received the letter that would change the course of my life. It didn’t hurt that the picture with the letter is one hot dude! After all, I said I was smart and young. I didn't say I wasn't capable of being shallow!
I was eighteen and in my second year of college. I met my perfect man. I had a dream of traveling around the world while working as a nurse a la Betty Neels.** I am not a nurse today, and I am living a dream life.
Oh yeah, the joys of motherhood is not just about having fabulous and fantastic children like mine. It’s also about having an extraordinary spouse!
*I hardly knew which end to shoot from on any gun thingy with bullets in it. Yeah, I live in a state where shotguns is as common as sandals in summer, but I've never actually shot one. (Note to self, enroll in a class. That's after reading an intruction about shooting. Which means, a trip to the library first!)
**Betty Neels writes romances about nurses traveling while working and meeting their dream boy, usually a doctor. She writes sweet and innocent love stories. A endangered genre nowadays.
7 comments:
this actually reminds me of my boyfriend and me... he lives in New Hampshire and well, me in Mexico. We usually stick to Myspace messages or Aim and we get to talk almost every day.
I'm not aiming to marriage with this one yet... or really at all but I love him and he's just super, super awesome.
He's coming to visit in a few months and I might get to attend to college near him! Yay!
hahaha
you have one of the coolest love stories ever! hahaha
a sniper... hahaha
Wow,
That is an awesome tale :)
Umm to answer ur question, beta.blogger is so much better!! It has oogles more functionality than standard blogger!! You should try it :)
SS
That was so nice to read, Thanks for sharing!
It was near the end of the war, yes, 'Nam was a 'war' no matter what the politicians say.
Well, she was sniping my buddies and I was the last one. Then they called a truce and we just let by-gones be by-gones.
I always wait to see if anyone noticed that my young bride, the 'sniper' was *born* long after 'Nam'.
Ale, that sounds great! What are you going to study in college?
SS, I tried Beta and found out I cannot use the putry template I like.
Plus, I don't understand it much...and they required more brain cell to redo the template code :(
Momsquared...you've just given us the best compliment ever! Thank you!
Post a Comment