Lazy Winter Soup

I haven't been really cooking in a long while. The chefs at Boston Market, Chipotle, McDonalds [chief might be stretching it here], Wendy's and the likes have been really busy making food for me.

My baby is now eight months old. He's still having a fever, but now I know that he's caught the winter virus (not quite flu), and his ear infection is making his temperature higher than a viral infection would indicate. No infection showed on his blood test.

Anyway, back to my soup. It's not because it's ingredients were "winter" related. I only titled it such because right now, it's wintry cold for my part of Texas, and I am feeling lazy, but I need to make a soupy dinner.

Let me see if I can remember the ingredients correctly because I was making it up as I went along, and wasn't keeping a close enough attention.

Engredients:
1/2 pound ground beef, shaped into tiny balls*
2 med. potatoes, diced finely
1 med. onion, diced finely
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can whole kernel corn, drained and rinsed
1 can tomato sauce
3 cups water [aka 24 oz of liquid]
dash of powder garlic
dash of paprika
salt to taste

1. Saute ground beef in a dry hot soup caserole. Swish it all around until it's brown. No need for oil, the ground beef will have enough.

2. Add the onions, swish it all around.

3. Add the potatoes until both are transluscent.

4. Add tomato sauce, beans, corn, and water

5. Boil high for 15 minutes.

6. Simmer in medium flame for 20 minutes.

7. Simmer in low flame for 10 minutes. Turn off fire, and let stand for another 10 until cool enough.

Serve.
I don't know how many servings this is, and I also didn't count calories. Half the quantity was enough to serve my 4 kids. It's actually quite tasty, especially if you're hungry and too lazy to go anywhere or make anything.

Can be eaten by itself, or with rice, or rolls, or other stuff.


*only if you have time because the little balls will unravel, and you're back to ground meat anyway.

11 comments:

Alejandra said...

Why look who's BACK?! It's meee!!!

And though that soup does look quite tasty (somewhat, I'm not a fan of soups really...) I am too lazy for it... even if it is called 'lazy soup'

I really missed it here. And I love how it's been getting cooler and cooler too!

T-girl said...

That looks yummy! Thanks for sharing... now I am hungry! LOL

Anonymous said...

siguro,dahil sa ear infection nya kaya sha may fever?uso rin dito yan pag taglamig,gaya ngayon :)hope he gets well soon :)

i wanna try this soup of yours.I think i have done it before,similar like this but mine had no black beans and young corn..i put carrots and green pepper instead..anyways,original menu kasi kaya kung ano lang ang meron sa ref :D

thanx for sharing,its so cold in here na rin :)

BeeJay said...

Oh, looove McDonal's :) I'm there at least once a week with friends, hoho XD

That recipe of yours made me hungry!! Gotta tell my mom to make some food haha :D

Girlie said...

Hey Ale, so good to have you back!

Where have you been? I mean, aside from being a slave to essays?

Girlie said...

T-girl, thank you! It's actually yummy. You know with experiment soups, it's hit or miss.

This one got lucky.

Girlie said...

Ghee, I think it's because of ear infection. Today, he was much better. Low grade fever.

I am starting to sneeze, and Yossi (DS4) had fever last night. Hopefully, none tonight.

Girlie said...

Angelika Jane...good to know another McDo-kababayan.

I like their french fries. Of course it's not good for my hips, but I like their fries right now. It comes and goes.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a yummy soup. But still too much work for me. :) I usually whip up a quick chicken soup when somebody's not feeling well, or just when we're having one of those cold winter days.

Girlie said...

Hi Niceheart, it's not that much work. I finished prep in 10 minutes even with baby on a sling on my chest. :)


You can even replace diced potato with a shredded frozen one. Works too.

Jennboree said...

That looks great! Except the corn.

Corn does NOT belong in anything but it's own spot on the plate or clinging to it's cob.