THURSDAY THIRTEEN #9


Thirteen Things about Shoshana

I am slowly going back to cooking. So, I dusted up my recipe books, of which I have plenty, deciding what things to cook that's easy and fast. As always with these things, all the food I wanted to make requires extensive shopping. My two-year old son, let's call him "R", disposed of my large collection of spices.

I did find some cucumber in my refrigerator though. So, tonight's Thursday Thirteen is going to be about Cucumber salad that's real easy to make. I have no idea who originated this one, but it was in my head, and I have the ingredients for it. I'll have to shop for my recipe-book dishes another time. When I am not going to be carting around sick little baby.
For Ingredients:
1. 4 medium cucumbers

2. 1 small onions, optional if you don't like these things

3. 1 small green bell pepper, optional too

4. 1/3 cup vinegar, you can use apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, but I'm not sure with Balsamic. It's too dark, and I am not sure how it will look. I like my cucumber all nice and natural.

5. 1/3 cup water

6. 1/3 cup sugar, can use Splenda if you're into sugar-free

Instructions:
7. Slicer is much easier to use because you can cut the cucumbers and other ingredients into uniform sizes.

8. Peel cucumber, make sure to leave little strips of skin for decorative purposes.

9. Make think slices out of cucumber, onions, and green bell pepper, with a slicer if you have it, or with a knife.

10. Layer cucumber, onions and bell pepper in a casserole dish

11. Mix vinegar, water, and sugar.

12. Pour over cucumber layers

13. Marinate at least an hour.

This tastes better the longer it sits in marinade. I even included a picture for you. :) Enjoy!

38 comments:

Tug said...

LOVE cucumber salad!!

Happy TT!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I'd never heard of this until my husband's grandmother urged me to eat it. With those onions? umm... No, but thanks!

Happy TT!

Girlie said...

Tug, hello!

Susan, onion's optional. It's perfectly fine without it.

Anonymous said...

mmmm looks good Shoshana, my mom makes that too, whenever I smell vinegar, it makes my mouth water....

Girlie said...

Hey Angelo, this is another thing you can join...come up with 13 things every week. It's kind of fun. :)

Anonymous said...

Ooooh cucumbers! Reminds me of the tomato/onion salad my mom always made.

Anonymous said...

WOW that looks SO yummy!!! I may just have to make that...

Happy TT :)

Unknown said...

I have to go to bed thanks for the recips

Girlie said...

Cheryl. I'd love to have that recipe of tomatoes. Sounds yummy!

Girlie said...

Erica, thank you! And it's real easy to make. The hardest part is slicing.

Girlie said...

Amy good night!

Le Laquet, I'm going to try it your way. Thanks for the link.

Barb said...

Thx for the yummy recipe!

Ingrid said...

Funny idea for 13 things ! Especially the n° 13 !

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll send you an email later with the recipe for the Dog Food casserole.

Happy TT

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

The recipe sounds yummy! I think I have all the ingredients except for the green pepper. I may have to make this for lunch:) Thanks for visiting!

Anonymous said...

Hmmnn...makes me want to eat some right now.

Michelle said...

I LOVE Cucumber Salad! Very good.

I wish I could cook or even marinate for that matter. :0)

Happy TT!

Unknown said...

Yummy! Got everything to try your recipe. The cucumbers are going to sit in the marinate this eve =)
Thanks for sharing!




Happy TT from Germany,
S.

Girlie said...

Sanni, very easy to marinade this things. I hope you enjoy it.

Girlie said...

Mikala, no cooking on this one. It's pretty much like putting milk on cereal.

:)

Girlie said...

Chupieandj'smama, have fun! My husband likes to have them on hand. He would like to prefer eating these to like...candy bars or another piece of chocolate cake. :) No calories, at least, not as laden.

Girlie said...

Skittles, Gattina, thanks for stopping by.

Mistress of the Dark, thank you. Looking forward to it.

Annie said...

I LOVE cucumber salad, though I don't think I've ever had it with peppers before. Just cukes and onions.

I haven't had it in so long and now I'm craving it!

Happy TT!

TopChamp said...

Yum - will try that one out asap.. Have a cucumber sat there waiting for inspiration to strike!

Bubba said...

Oh, I wish I could say I liked your cucumber salad. But, alas, my dislike of vinegar is going to prevent me from using your recipe.

That being said, I will definitely try your lazy winter soup. Everything in there sounds wonderful!

Thanks for stopping by...and Happy TT!

Blog said...

Great recipe! Healthy AND Yum!

Julie in Texas said...

I make something similar without the bellpeppers. My family loves it.

Welcome back to the world of cooking. I am sure you have missed homecooked food. I always do when we go through stretches of eating out.

Happy TT!

Karri said...

I love cucumbers! Happy TT, and thank you for stopping by. I just started the book last night, and so far I love it :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love cucumber salads. My recipe calls for a bit of sour cream, but yours sounds delicious too. Thanks for sharing!

Norma said...

I've been working on learning to like bell peppers, so this looks pretty good to me.

Thanks for visiting my TT.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, yum. This one sounds very similar to one I make. I just love cucumbers!

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

Yum! My grandma used to make that, but without the peppers. we called it cucumbers & onions--creative name huh? ;-)

I'll have to try it with the bell pepper!

Anonymous said...

I love cucumber salad (DH craves it, LOL). I usually make it with tomatoes (if fresh in the summer) but I should try it with green pepper sometime, that looks yummy too!

Jennboree said...

Delish!

Want the Lazy Woman's version?

Sliced cucumber, tomato, sweet onion (very thin) and avocado if so desired.

Dump one bottle of Zesty Italian dressing. Marinate 20 min outside of fridge.

Devour.

Girlie said...

Jennboree, that is a great idea. I am trying it next time!

I do love my Italian dressing in just about anything!

Girlie said...

Vixen, I usually add tomatoes to cucumber...but only in Isreali salad, and everything's cubed neatly. :)

BlondeBrony said...

That was a very neat TT! Thanks for posting it. I may just give it a try.

Unknown said...

HA! I knew there was a wonderful recipe on your blog - I loved the cucumber salad. I´m glad I found it - today for the Blog Scavenger Hunt ;)