Know When to Stop

There are a lot of things happening right now around me. It is very draining. I know that it is nice that I have a steady lifestyle, strong relationship and all that. I just wonder how long I can stay strong and stable when I almost never get a chance to replenish me.

I am slow to realize that for anyone to keep their center, and focus, one must take time to invest in them. I am no therapist who knew these things. It's just common sense. I imagine being stable and giving is like a bucket full of water surrounded by a group of thirsty people. This bucket of water is very refreshing, and it's making all these thirsty people feel good. That’s wonderful!

Imagine how long that refreshing water will last if all everyone ever does is take and take and take. One does not have to be a math genius to figure out that it will go dry. Sometimes I feel like that bucket. I need to re-fill and re-fuel so I can continue to be a nurturing person.

It is very easy to overlook this self-nurturing in the business of life, especially in the midst of the adrenalin rush, and the good feelings inside providing all these help. On the other hand, I am reminded that Dr. Spock was not a very good Dad, yet he was every one's Dad. I am sure there are others who excel in their humanitarian work, yet end up making sacrifices of their families.

Yes, I want to be giving, and pillar of stability. I just also need to know when I've reached my limit so that my children is not the future casualty of a stressed-out mother, never-having enough time mother because I'm too busy elsewhere.

I am with Jackie Kennedy when she said
If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do matters very much.
I think knowing when to stop is a good place to start having balance in life.

10 comments:

louann said...

continue being that bucket of water - being a blessing to others. Sometimes, we end up being a sponge, absorbing too much of what is around us and forgetting to squeeze out that water that ironically, end up draining us.

Anonymous said...

i really believe that we need replenishment, we need someone to bless us or fill our bucket so that we may continue to share. God is the source of everything and I hope you will find the person that God will use to replenish that bucket.

albjornstad said...

:)
As long as you are aware that you need a break and do something about it, then it is fine. Everyone has a breaking point. I have reached mine, it was not so pleasant. Learned my lesson the hard way.

Good for you!!!

Simple American said...

Are you stopping blogging?

I hope I can fill the bucket instead. But I understand if you need more time for your kids. Quite honestly I feel blessed that you can visit my blog and you have the time to post on your blog.

Five kids really can keep a soul busy. I have only two and my hats are off to you and your mister. Amzing how much y'all do. But it is nice that you do it all together.

Hope I'm misunderstanding the message here.

Girlie said...

♥ Louann, I admit I am a sponge from time to time myself. I think I am a walking definition of when it rains, it pours right about now.

♥ Iskoo, you have a good point there. I am having a religion crisis myself, and it sure feels different!

Girlie said...

♥ Al, knowing when to take a break is hard to figure out sometimes. I haven't reach breaking point, but I feel like I am very close.

♥ SA,thank you. I do consider is a worthwhile break when I stop by your blog. I am not going to stop blogging (that I know of). My five kids are way easy compared to the drama of other people foisted on me. It's like I am expected to nurture, but I am not expected to need nurturing myself. I sound whiny, but it's very disappointing.

Anonymous said...

I so agree on this one, Shoshana. I believe we all need a break from our daily routines and give time for ourselves to recharge :)

Happy Wednesday, Shoshana! :)

Me said...

Hi Shoshana, out of subject...i do not know how to post my recipes on the crazy/hip blog-mamas!! please help!
you can email me at summers57[at]gmail[dot]com
thanks!

Girlie said...

♥ Sasha, it's really hard to say no, isn't it?

♥ Summer, ugh...will e-mail you. I completely missed this one. Sorry for the delay.

Raquel said...

I think you need to take a vacation to unwind and free yourself from the boredom of daily routine of work.

Take a break because you deserve it.