Photo Hunt #26 - Hobby




I like to crochet. I can listen to a books on tape and crochet at the same time...or while watching TV. This afghan I made for my sister.


I can't recall a time when I didn't love books. My mother bought me tons of books while I was growing up. She wasn't too thrilled when I was obsessed with them, I'd missed meals to finished them between exams and homework. I got my love of books from my Mama.


I took up knitting when I was pregnant with DS4. I learned it from a book. I even joined a dishcloth ring and made three dishcloth. I sent mine to Australia, and I got three from East Texas. It was lots of fun.

34 comments:

Lazy Daisy said...

Wow, I reading, books on tapes while you crochet. Good hobbies.

Unknown said...

How beautiful! You definitely have some talent and patience. Great hobbies!

Jane said...

Beautiful handiwork! I agree with you on books, although I don't save many adult books. There is simply not enough room!

Linda said...

You do some beautiful work with your hands and how can you not love books? Looks like you have quite the collection there!

Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm looking at my own over-stocked bookshelves :) Reading is the best hobby - cheap, easy and makes you smarter!

Anonymous said...

Wow that first one looks really intricate, you're very talented Shoshana! I've watched knitters knitting many times, but I can never get it! Happy hunting!

zhengning said...

The first pic is very nicely done! :D You can knit very well, Great job!


Have an enjoyable weekend!
Mine's up too!

Unknown said...

Great photos of your hobby

Mari said...

Hi bloghopping through Ann.

That afghan is a beaut. It must've taken you weeks to finish it. Good hobby. My mom taught me how to crocket when I was 12 years old, and I still know how.

letha said...

The crochet is great, I keep trying to learn, get so far and take it all apart again.

Ingrid said...

I always have read a lot, only knitting and crochet is nothing for me !

Me said...

Nice work there!! really impressive that you have learned how to do this by reading a book about it!! i am a more visual type, i have to see it to learn it.

Girlie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Girlie said...

♥ Lazy Daisy, the first time I did books on tape, I fall asleep, so I had to be doing something to listen to the story.

♥ Expat, thank you!

♥ Jane, if I save all the books I want, I'd have to have a whole new house just for my books.

♥ Linda, thank you.

♥ Superkimbo, I totally agree with you...unless you get into an author with lots of old books, and all of them over 50 bucks on ebay...then it's not so cheap anymore.

♥ Angelo, that's exactly how I thought about knitting. Turns out that knitting is easier than crochet. There's only two type of stitches- knit and purl. Once you've mastered those, it's a matter of math and geometry. You'd be good at it.

♥ Zhenging, thank you! I can only knit smaller things. The counting is where I get lost often.

♥ Amy, thank you!

♥ Mari, where's your link? I can't find your webpage.

♥ Letha, crochet is wonderful! My daughter and sons are learning it. I still have lots to learn. With crochet, it's easier to take it apart compared to knitting. I haven't mastered "tink-ing"

♥ Gattina, I cannot imagine a world without reading...it's just so much fun.

♥ Summer, thank you! I get confused if someone tries to show me. Unless they talk just like a book...steps in order, and all that.

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Great photos of your terrific hobbies! :) Both of my humans love reading and my mom likes to crochet. She's never made anything as big as an afghan though.

Girlie said...

♥ Dragonheart, I try to make afghans from small pieces...like a granny sqaure, then I stitch them together afterwards.

Shawna said...

Beautiful work, and Wow, look at all those books!! I love to collect children's books.

srp said...

These are lovely! My mother knits and my grandmother crocheted... I unfortunately do neither. I am sure that I could never watch movies and crochet at the same time... all that counting.

Caylynn said...

That afghan is beautiful! :) I enjoy crochet but I've never made an afghan. I love books too! I read every night before bed - I have to in order to fall asleep!

SASSY MOM said...

My mother used to teach me how to crochet but I never did learn maybe because it's not my interest..

Anyway, thanks for visiting my blog!

Shelby said...

I've never crocheted but yours is fabulous! I do love to read - it's my passion.

take care and happy SATURDAY :)

shelbydupree.blogspot.com

Cheryl said...

I wish I knew how to crochete...some day maybe my mom will teach me. You do nice work.

Cheryl said...

I wish I knew how to crochete...some day maybe my mom will teach me. You do nice work.

PhilippinesPhil said...

Books are great, but dang they are heavy when its time to move... I don't collect them anymore; I just read them and pass them along.

Stine said...

Great hobbies! Must get some crocheting going again... Thanks for visiting!

Baba said...

Hi Shoshana,... Your hobbies look great. Thanks for sharing. Baba

Mike said...

Good pics and answers for this weeks hunt. If it weren't for my wife I wouldn't read real books lol.

Anonymous said...

Great hobbies. Beautiful work :)

Lisa said...

Great hobbies - happy weekend.

Andree said...

I am seeing so much talent today that it is overwhelming. Your afgans are so lovely and cozy. I like the idea of a dishcloth ring. My best dishcloths are crocheted and knitted (gifts from friends).

Rebecca said...

That does look like fun! I tried to knit a scarf once. After about six years it got to be the size of a small blanket and I brought it to goodwill, knitting needles attached!

Mari said...

Sorry, Shoshana, for some reason my link disappeared, but I have that fixed. If it still doesn't work click this: Art and Soul. Thanks.

bonggamom said...

I'm envious, the only thing I can crochet is chainstitch :) You do beautiful work!

Anonymous said...

I cant crochet but your designs are really nice. Reminds me of my grandmother's sister who crochets a lot!