What is IT Called Again?

One writer called it a very disappointing age for a child. They go from being a ruler of all things, where a single noise is scrutinized and analyzed and delivered to the best of interpretation to a disappointing boundaries and discipline issues at every turn. I am talking about terrible twos.

I never really paid it much attention. Even though my daughter, my first-born can scream with the best of them, repeatedly jumped out of her crib at age 6-7 months so she was promoted to a real bed at such an age, even though she can climb the highest shelves or counter, I don't remember her as obnoxious as my third darling son, DS3.

She's 15 months old when DS1 was born. I remember she immediately stopped talking and only communicated with me in the same manner as a newborn, and she started crawling even though she'd been walking since 8 months.

I don't recall her pushing and roughing up her little brother around. Maybe it is true what they said. Same-sex, close-gapped children tend to be best of friends and worst of enemies. My two little sisters, who are darling angels apart, go into fight mood within minutes of being in the same room. They can get into fight in a snap and make up just as fast.

My brother and I hardly ever fight. We get along well, compared to our two little sisters. The ironies of it are their names. They're Happy and Love. I was Girlie. I have issues with being Girlie with my little sisters are "Happy" and "Love." Was it to much to ask to have a nickname which matches? Why wasn't I called patience, joy, or ecstasy?

Ok, back to my DS3. He's tall and slightly built, but he's so loud. He can yodel with the best of them. I am thinking of signing him up for cadet or ROTC because he's got the voice box for it. Last night he had a fit because I brought him home after a visit from Lola's house before he was ready. When he's unhappy, I think my SIL can hear him all the way from Oklahoma. It is really hard to tell because my ears are ringing so loud with his unhappiness.

He also seems to think that DS4, the baby, is punching Bob. He'd be walking along and the baby practicing his walk when DS3 will just reach over and tip him. Isn't there a sport somewhere about cow-tipping? If I didn't know any better, I'd think he's practicing for the Olympics on tipping.

There's a lot of flying train accidents too when my back is turned. DS4 is sporting lots of bruises about that. I hesitate to overtly punish him because that would be paying attention to his misbehavior. My husband and I try to give him lots of compliments when he's being nice to the baby.

I also noticed that as smart at repeating as he is, he pretty much ignore anybody who tries to make him repeat about "being gentle to baby." He'll reply with "I want milk, please." Not even chocolate currency works on that one.

It's not as bad as Itchy and Scratchy, but I would really like to try something new on this one before it becomes a real issue.

I don't know how many readers I have out there who have children, or knows children, or even if you don't have children, have something to say about terrible twos, please, feel free to share anything. Anything is better than nothing at this rate.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a little monkey who likes to push his little sister lately. We're looking for advice, too!

-Shevon

Uisce said...

ahh the terrible twos. and you know why it's plural, don't you? two and three. yup, lasts until they're nearly four. ain't that fun?

then there's 13-14. been through that once, two more to go! :)

louann said...

i'm sorry i don't think i have much advice for you. but your post made me laugh...it made my day hahahaha. but anyway, oh i know the terrible two's...three's and four's. you may want to be patient and just keep talking and reminding DS3 to be more gentle with the baby or maybe be a little more agressive by giving him "time outs" when he does something unpleasant to the baby... but one thing that's for sure is that he will outrgrow this stage. it'll just be a matter of time! yikes. goodluck!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps u remember my brother Franklin... i was born when he was 18 months old...Mama told me, he would never lift a finger on me when i was a baby, he was even so afraid to touch me, always careful never to hurt me...to the point of spoiling me...Terrible twos? i don't think so...*chuckles* guess i made him feel terrible back then..but i never intend to, perhaps that was my way of loving him back..naughty me..everytime we argue, he always gives in..i always have the better explanation, and i always have my side heard, because he never speaks up, or maybe he chooses not to...My, I was tough for a girl, I was confident I will be me without him, I always appeared headstrong..

What made me feel terrible was, the time when my Mama realized, things have been like that since we were kids.. Things were different from then on. Once we had a fight, Mama slapped me for trying to talk back, hoping to explain.. My pride was hurt. I thought I hated my brother for that..Things just changed.. We were growing up..and i hated him.

At 17, he went to Cebu. I was feeling strange. I blamed everybody for sending him away..I realized, he was my best bud and I felt I was never the tough me without him. He has been behind me all the while. He has always supported me.

My Mama laughed seeing me act like this. She said, I have been a terrible sister to my elder brother. But when I was younger, I would get sick when My grandma takes him on a vacation. It was him who have made me appear strong, and that he was always there, ready to back me up in case i got into trouble...

Funny. Now we're both married. I am no longer the same girl I used to be. But my big brother is always there everytime I call...

Terrible two's? Its just a stage..They'll outgrow that..It's just part of a very colorful childhood...But parents have a very important role too, just make sure things are patched up immediately and try to avoid making things turn from bad to worse. Never, ever, take sides. Am sure you've heard of sibling rivalry.