Maytag, Rusty in Five

I have a Maytag refrigerator. It's cute, and even with a price tag of USD 1300+, I got it. It's also energy efficient. It's my main refrigerator. I have another one in the garage for other stuff, but this one is in my kitchen.

A couple days ago, I noticed that the gears for crushing ice were rusted. I didn't think Maytag manufacturer would be stupid enough to put in parts where it could get rusted, especially a most used part. Ice crusher.

I like crushed ice. My kids love it too. Who doesn't? Now I am worried how long they've been ingesting rust. What health problem will I have to worry now depending on how much rust they've consumed? How long has it been rusted?

Anyway, I called customer service for help. For someone to come and look at the problem: "Rusted ice crusher", I will pay $127.00. WTF!? The thing is removable. So, I asked the rude-not-quite so helpful customer service if I could buy the part and install/replace it myself. After all, for someone who rocked at installing something in a PC, I rate myself highly capable.

After 3 more customer services transfers, having to repeat my phone number half a dozen time, I got the part. I think it is the correct part. I paid $22.75 including shipping, and I am supposed to get it in 7-10 business days. I have 30-days money-back guarantee. We'll see.

Now, I am wondering, why would they put a part that will rust in a refrigerator? Unlike car seats, refrigerators do not come with an expiration date. I was expecting it to work in good order for the life of the ref.

I am annoyed, and I would not recommend anyone buying Maytag refrigerators. At least, not the ones with an ice crusher. You'll be drinking rust after 5 years. And for the price tag, there's probably other better brand out there.

3 comments:

Diana said...

Wow, you are a much, much, MUCH nicer lady than I. I'd have come unglued. Paying for such a ridiculous defective problem. Ha! They'd have been paying me to not come through the phone.... ;)

Well, not that it helps any now, but we have a Whirlpool, it's only three years old but so far so good - we're very happy with it and the crusher part looks rust proof-ish.

PhilippinesPhil said...

Even worse than the rust is the attitude of the service representative. A lot can be forgiven when they at least say the right words with the expected level of "sincerity." I bought a Ford Aerostar in '88 and after a few months it didn't come close to the predicted mileage. In fact it was horrible. I took it back to the dealership and the service rep blew me off saying, "Sir, we sell them, we don't build them." Needless to say, that was the last Ford I ever bought.

Girlie said...

Phil, I agree with you.

Funny, we have more than 2 Ford Aerostar at one point. We got them used. :)

Cheaper insurance that way.

I sure hope I don't have to deal with those people again.