Scrapbooking

I have a friend who's into scrapbooking. She's fabulous at it. The pages she creates...well, let's just say that if you're not in to artsy stuff, it would make you wish you were. She's that good.

I am not surprised of course. She's probably one of the few people I know who keeps a very neat notebook in all our chemistry classes. Even when the professors would blaze through the lectures at the speed of light, she still manages to keep neat notes. Unbelievable! Anyway, she got me thinking about scrapbooking.

This is "The Friend" who introduced me to the world of make-up and shopping. I would just always go into this store called "5-7-9" and pick up my size 0's on sale and wear them. I didn't know other stores existed. What fun it was to shop! We also have a lot of late nights burning candles for exams. What makes those study sessions bearable was the shopping trip we made in the midst of it. We'd shop for nail colors, or spread Victoria's Secret catalogs over our text books and order. It's probably how we end up with over a hundred pair of underwear- thongs all.

I am not even going to mention her 4.0 GPA in our Biochemistry degree. She has style and an extraordinary fashion sense. Even without all these, she's just a nice person to know. Did I mentioned she's got this lovely daughter too? She knows who she is, so we're not going to name names here.
Scrapbooking is a method for preserving a legacy of written history in the form of photographs, printed media, and memorabillia contained in decorated albums, or scrapbooks. Historically, scrapbooking was a tradition similar to storytelling, but with a visual and tactile, rather than oral, focus.
I've tried it before.

In fact, I spent a small fortune in getting rubber stamps, pens, ink, pads, pens, scissors, papers; albums...are you getting the idea yet? It's still all there. At least, what survived after my darling daughter and sons have gone through it. I would dearly love to finish that particular project, but children and family life gets in the way of scrapbooking.

It's in the back burner, right along with my more than three dozens projects in knitting and crocheting in various stages of completion.

Talking about "various degrees of completion" reminds me that it might not be the children or the family getting in the way of my project. It's probably me. Why else would I be reading at least 8 books at the same time? At one point, I was keeping up stories with 16 books! I'd finished them all together, or I'd quit reading somewhere in the middle if the story is too much work.

What do I mean by too much work? It's when I read and have to work up enthusiasm so I could flip to the next page and the next and the next...and sometimes, I just can't do it. I want the book to do it for me. When this happens, having to work up enthusiasm for a book, I'd grabbed one of my favorite oldies and re-read it. I'd better re-read an old book I've read gazillion times before, rather than get stuck in an uphill book.

What am I talking about? First I'm babling about scrapbooks, and now complaining about books?! What has yarns gotta do with either? Aside from the knitting needles being pointy things, big and tall pointy things, what has knit/crochet got to do with scrapbooking? Probably nothing. I don't know. I am just peacefully typing here, and those darn things just wanted to be mentioned. I didn't plan on it at all. Those things just wanted to be where my scrapbooking thoughts want to be.

Oh yeah. Digital Scrapbooking. I won't have to worry about scissors and glues and other sharp instruments. I might take it up someday, when I have a lot of time. I am seriously thinking about taking it up. It's a nice hobby to have, and who knows, I might find my talent right along my enthusiasm. All for someday of course. When I'm all grown up! Right?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha!Ok,someday,when ypu`re all grown up :)

Shopping is fun,i agree with you.I am amazed on how you handle your time,you have lots of hobbies,or i may say talents,from knittings to blogging.You use your time productively and now you wanna try digiscrapping,wow!

I think its fun,too,i wanna learn but having second thought of it coz i might get stucked in the net once i started it,unless i quit my job,LOL!

Anonymous said...

HeeHee.... You are just afraid that you will be tooooo addicted to digital scrapbooking ;)

By the way, very nice things you said about your friend. I'm sure those are the memories that she will forever treasure as well ;)

Cheers to the golden days...

Anonymous said...

Digiscrapping! wow thats cool :) i tried it before pero mas sobrang naadik ako sa pixelling hehhe..


Happy weekend prend!
Kisses to the beautiful kids.

Girlie said...

Hi Ghee, I have exactly the same fears. It's not like I am not hooked to scrabble and other card games already!

Lulu, that friend is fantabulous! :) I am continually impressed by the pages you made.

Ethel, I would take up pixelling, except that I don't understand it quite. Your pictures though, they're really beautiful.

Irish Church Lady :) said...

I've been thinking about trying digital scrapbooking as well. Just concerned about the time commitment. I love being creative and I love geeky tools so I think I may enjoy it. I'm having lots of fun making music videos with my pictures. Takes time too but I enjoy doing it.

Nice words about your friend.

Toodles~!

ICL

Girlie said...

* Irish Church Lady, I am starting to think that anyone can take up digiscrapbooking. As long as one can take it a few minutes at a time, so it doesn't suck up all your time.

It's just too tempting to sit there and get emmersed into it, so easy to forget that sometimes, things just doesn't take care of itself.