Yesterday, we went walking in the mall. We're already done and on the way out when we saw the mall security talking to a worried-looking woman. She's Hispanic and she has two daughters with her. We stopped by and see what was the matter because DH heard snippets of "this is what he looks like.." and we thought a lost child.
This woman, I never got her name, lost her 4 year old son near the bathrooms. This mall has a 1-mile circular aisle, kind of like a race-tract. We had just put it our 6 miles. DH and I didn't even hesitate; we offered to help them look for their child. We decided to put in another mile while looking for this woman's child.
His name is Wyatt, he's wearing blue shirt, brown pants, cowboy boots, and have a sandy blond hair. So we walked, all the while feeling for this mother. I had misplaced DS3 once in this mall. I looked away, and he had walked .3 miles to the nearest kiddy playground. There is no horror as deep as discovering your child can't be found.
About a 3rd of a mile, the woman and her two girls turn back the way they came from. We keep going anyway just in case. We kept on walking and looking for little boys with blue shirt, cowboy boots, brown pants and sandy blond hair. About 3/4 of a mile through, my daughter stopped and said, "Mommy, I just saw a boy in blue shirt and cowboy boots running past me." DH and I never saw him.
We stopped and let our Darling Daughter find out
if it's the right child. I looked over while watching my little ones and saw a child which fit the description. He also looked like he belongs to a family looking at a stuffed toy kiosk. DH said, "Are you Wyatt?" When this little boy looked with recognition, DD said, "Are you lost?" Wyatt replied, "I can't find my mother."The weird thing is, he doesn't look upset at all. We told him to stay put because his mother was looking for him and we had to call security to get him. I forgot to ask his Mom's phone number. When we finally have the mother picked up his little boy, she looks so relieved, you can feel it. Then she gave my DD a huge hug and thanked her profusely for finding her little boy.
We offered to help find this little boy after our discussion of only minding our own business and let others worry about theirs. This one happened to have a happy ending. We're glad to help, and glad to find the boy. I guess it is in our nature to want to help.
The thing to do now is pick a situation where it won't be so stressful to me or my family. I just have to recognize if my help will be enough or is it time to just say, "I am sorry, but this is bigger than I can handle."
It's in our nature, I and my family, are glad to help.
3 comments:
i am sure the mother and the boy will not forget the heroic deed of your daughter to them. its wonderful!
SA, you're right, my daughter is a hero.
my heart goes out to the mom who thought she lost her child! there was this one ionstance where i lost sight of my eldest, my heart went racing very fast and my knees were shaking!
your daughter did something wonderful :)
Post a Comment