Thursday Thirteen #20 - Lemon

Lemons are really neat, aside from their beautiful yellow color that is. I stumbled across a pamphlet proclaiming lemon to be such a miraculous thing as to cure cancer. I don't know about that, but here's 13 things about lemon.

1. The lemon contains the highest percentage of citric acid of any fruit. It also contains some vitamin A. Vitamin P (bioflavonoids) in lemon strengthens the blood vessels and prevents internal haemorrhage. It is, therefore, extremely useful in high blood pressure, in which cerebro-vascular accidents commonly occur.

2. Rubbing lemon on your teeth helps make them whiter!
Beware:
One should not take concentrated lemon-juice. It should be diluted with water before taking it. Pure lemon­juice contains acid which is injurious to the enamel of teeth.
3. Lemons takes the stink out of your fridge. Put a slice on a plate and place it in the back of your fridge. If it really bad, you can always buy a new fridge.

4. Lemons clean microwave splatters. Slice lemon and microwave for 5 minutes and the splatter should wipe off easily. Make your own spray cleaner by mixing two tablespoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon liquid soap, 1/2 teaspoon washing soda, and one teaspoon Borax into two cups hot water. Mix until dissolved.

5. Lemon has been used for many years in gout and rheumatism. Lemon-juice is a diuretic. It, therefore, gives relief in kidney and bladder disorders. It has been used in destroying intestinal worms. It prevents vomiting and helps to cure hepatitis and other innumerable diseases.

6. Use lemon slices, along with a wet rag, to clean your fingers when eating messy finger foods such as ribs or fried chicken. Lemon cuts away the grease. Plus your hands smells nice and lemony afterwards.

7. Keep a small spray bottle filled with lemon juice in the refrigerator. You can then quickly spray fruits in salads, seafood, and vegetables that call for it.

8. If you have lemons that need to be used before they go bad, simply squeeze the juice and freeze it in ice cube trays to use in future recipes.

9. Clean brass with a lemon half that has been sprinkled with a generous layer of salt.

10. Lemons also stimulate the appetite, aids digestion, strengthens body defense system, relieves cramps and also dilates the blood vessels in the skin. {Didn't I say it's a miracle fruit?}

11. Stop a nosebleed : Dribble a small amount of diluted lemon juice on a cotton ball and dab it repeatedly onto the nasal mucous membrane. The lemon's astringent effect draws the body tissues together.

12. Though lemon is acidic to the taste, it leaves off alkaline residues in the body. This is why it is useful in all symptoms of acidosis.

13. A very course exterior may indicate a thick skin, which may mean less juicy flesh. Large lemons tend to be thick skinned. Size doesn't mean more juice. A lemon that feels heavy for its smaller size usually means more juice.

Related posts:
♥ Check out my scavenged useful remedies too.
♥ Here's my other home remedies
♥ There's always lavender.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

21 comments:

Ingrid said...

After reading this, I now have a sour smile on my lips !

Anonymous said...

Wow! The nosebleed remedy and the brass cleaning are things I will definitely try. Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

What a great list. Cleaning brass with lemons and teeth whitening - who knew?

I'm all about weird and wonderful words that begin with the letter Z this week.

tina said...

wow nice info about lemons... stopping a nosebleed? yay. :)

anyway i havent tried Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone? ill go look for that on bookstores.. one time. hehe. :)

Jennfactor 10 said...

I knew I liked lemons!
I'll have to remember some of those...
Happy TT!

Coco said...

The only thing I know about lemons on this list is #6 - and that's because I worked at a restaurant and we serve fingerbowls with lemons in 'em :)

Thanks for the boost of knowledge!

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

That was a great list. Such good information for everyone. Thanks for sharing it.

Robin said...

Those are great tips. I never knew to look for smooth skin.

Thanks for sharing, and happy TT.

Anonymous said...

Lemons are quite useful it even relieves you from the common cold if you make a hot lemon juice with honey

josef said...

Thanks for your info. I like it! God luk!

Denise Patrick said...

Great information. I can actually use some of this. And, thanks for stopping by.

Durward Discussion said...

As long as you don't put them in a delicious lemon merengue pie, lemons can help you lose weight. A tablespoon of juice swallowed each morning a half hour before eating will kill your appetite. Some people do it for all three meals.

Sanna said...

Jeez, how do you know all these things?? Thanks for the info, though. Good to know that I don't have to throw away my fridge because of the smell.
Love, Sanna

Mitchypoo said...

ooh, i'm puckering up. I love lemons too, the smell is clean. My TT is up! It's about why I'd like you all to join my Knitting and Losing Trivia Tournament!

Anonymous said...

My kids will eat lemons like oranges... they love them! :x

Selena

Annie said...

Lemons are wonderful! And living at the beach and eating lots of seafood covered in old bay with my hands, I always use lemons to take away the smell.

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

I, too, love lemons! And they stop nosebleeds? Who knew???

Danielle said...

I love lemons. I always freshen my garbage disposal with a lemon halved. We enjoyed lemonade zingers on Saint Patrick's day which is fresh lemonade with the juice of half an orange with a slice of orange added.
Yummy.

Blog said...

Wow! Awesome TT! I never knew all that about lemons! I'll have to try some of these things!

Robyn Mills said...

And to think I just love lemon pie.

Angelo said...

Wow so many uses for the common lemon! I just love them for lemonade, mmmmm.... interesting medicinal uses. I'm interested to know the mechanism by which lemons are useful in the treatment of gout, I know diuresis would aggravate gouty arthritides. maybe it has something to do with it's anti-oxidant properties since they're so rich in vit C? I'm gonna have to look up lemons! Happy T13!