How to Get Into Trouble

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's pure luck (and my mother's iron will) that I am addicted to relatively good things. Great things like books, and books and books. It's a big part of my life, and will continue to be. I love all kinds of books. Except maybe science fiction, yet I've enjoyed Matt Reiley's books. Someone told me he's sci fi writer. That's shocking! I thought I would only read romance.

I have tried to quit books. Twice I have discarded over 750 books out of the misguided sense of starting over. I was mistakenly under the illusion that I could just quit and not have to waste real estate on my books. I have so many; I need a different street number to house them. I guess I don't to say how successful I was when you can see this picture. This is just a very tiny part of my collection.


I have also thought that I'd only be addicted to books. Imagine my surprised when I started watching all of Grey's Anatomy on TV. I was 2 seasons late when I got into it. Unfortunately for me, I was 7 seasons late when I discovered Gilmore Girls. I've watched all 3 seasons and working my way through 4th. Surely, it can't be so bad. TV and books have sucked up my time which isn't already booked by my kids and husband.

Then I saw my husband playing backgammon online. I used to play this game through yahoo ages ago. It was too much trouble having to log in and then waiting around for someone to play with, then having to chat while playing or they leave. I would have been better off if I hadn't investigated and found that I don't have to talk to anyone, and that playing is as easy as clicking on the link.

I started playing six days ago and have officially wasted over 10 hours of my reading time playing backgammon. I forgot to strap on my audio book. I could have finished a book while winning all those games. However, addiction to backgammon is quite sinister.


It creeps rather slowly until you're well and truly trapped within its jaws. I will just have to stubborn my way out of this. Look at these pictures above. These are the reasons while it gets so addicting. On the first picture, you can see how I'm so behind and then on the last frame, I won by the skin of my teeth.

Or what about this one? It feels really great when I see this. I also get mad when I can see that my "men" are being knocked off board out of pure spitefulness. Where's the gamesmanship if the other guy is being vindictive? Then I end up investing more time to find a better player and best them as nicely as possible. I don't like dirty playing. It's too uncomfortable.

This has made me realized that gambling places are not for me. I get into the spirit of things and would refuse to let go, thinking I could just do it one more time. Isn't that the very nature of man which casinos the world over are banking on? This bulldogedness* which spells disaster. I have that in spades. No Las Vegas gambling for me. Not unless I can stop at one bucket of quarters and can resist mortgaging my older Aunt.

I wonder how many out there have some addiction of sorts. Does it get you into trouble too?

*I made that up, it might be a word, but I am not sure.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOw so you are addicted to books as well! Looks like a paradise to me! Anyway, I am still coming up with ideas about your new meme. Can you email me the entire idea you have? You can send an email to me by just clicking on my Biography since there is a form there

The Rock Chick said...

I used to read like you did...several books a week! I love reading. Then I had 4 kids in 4 years and didn't have the time to read books like I used to so my addiction changed to reading things on the internet. I just LOVE reading blogs. I love people's opinions, insights, pictures and suggestions!

I've actually never played backgammon, but I am quite a fan of poker. Real tables and online. I'm just not comfortable with betting large amounts of money, so I only play small stakes. Been playing for years and it's never gotten me into any trouble.

I figure if you enjoy something, it's not bankrupting or harming you or anyone else, it's not an addiction, it's a hobby.....enjoy!

Angelo said...

I hope you didn't throw away those 750 books! That would be a waste. I've never understood backgammon, and I should probably not even attempt to learn 'coz I have a tendancy to get addicted to stuff quite easily! Well, good luck with your game :) What did you mean by T13 being over?

Unknown said...

I got hooked on Grey's Anatomy in the same way. I rented the first two seasons and watched them back to back..usually 4 episodes a night. And I love that show...I do!

I grew up playing backgammon with my mom. I love playing it, but haven't played it in a long while. I should buy one and teach my hubby. It's a fun game. I enjoyed stopping by. Head on over to my party....I'm all decorated for the festivities. :o)

Unknown said...

I got hooked on Grey's Anatomy in the same way. I rented the first two seasons and watched them back to back..usually 4 episodes a night. And I love that show...I do!

I grew up playing backgammon with my mom. I love playing it, but haven't played it in a long while. I should buy one and teach my hubby. It's a fun game. I enjoyed stopping by. Head on over to my party....I'm all decorated for the festivities. :o)

Anonymous said...

I too am addicted to books! And I love backgammon!

Stopping by from the ultimate blog party!

Anonymous said...

Evidently I'm living under a rock because I didn't even know that online backgammon games exist! Being that I'm a backgammon fan, I'm very excited about this. What about cribbage?

My addiction, I'm somewhat shamed to admit, is reality TV. Yep. That, and Sex and the City .. I still watch those DVDs and LOVE them!

asianpixie said...

Our books look the same way and counting. We now have a room for a "library," but I don't think it is going to be big enough!

Katie said...

I'm also addicted to books (Time Traveller's Wife was great, wasn't it?) but have never tried to quit books! I've recently quit magazines which was a huge step for me!
Thanks for inviting us all into your library - I've enjoyed mt stay!

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

I pretty much quit magazines, gave up a lot of TV, but then blogging and poetry just replaced them. . .

Kathy said...

Don't throw away your books! Keep the ones you really, really enjoy, and donate the other ones to the public library. They always need help! (I know, cuz I used to work in one) Thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed reading yours!

Judy said...

I LOVE backgammon! Maybe we can play sometime. And, I love books as well (being a writer, well... I guess that goes without saying, huh?)

Have a fun party time! I'll definitely be back :-)

Anonymous said...

Stopping in for your party! Me too- Grey's, Sex and the City, and yes even Dawson's Creek. Shh-don't tell anyone!
Happy partying!
Stacey

Anonymous said...

Just cruising by the party blogs to say hello. Nice to meet you!

Tammy and Parker said...

I love to read! I wish I had half of what is in your stash! =)

Anonymous said...

Hello! Came via TT, but just had to comment on your addictions! I'm addicted to books, too! I have tons of them, and it makes moving quite a hassle!

Unknown said...

Here from the blog party--

I love books, too, and I think your collection is a lovely sight. I also watch Gilmore Girls on DVD. I have never played backgammon on the computer, but I did teach my 8 year old to play.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I really admire how you find time to read books. I am also addicted to my TV shows, which is one reason I am having a hard time picking up a book. But you do both.

Anonymous said...

Backgammon is easy to get addicted to. I know :-)

BecsLifeOnline said...

Yay book addicts united! Hehe :-) Hope you are enjoying the party. No-one was impressed by my burnt sausage roll as an appetiser so I'm giving away a book instead :-) Please stop by my blog if you want to be in with a chance of winning. Party on! Becs.