Thursday Thirteen #19 - Lavender


Thirteen things about Lavender.

1. I have to put this #1. It's the best de-stinker around. Trust me. With 5 little butts I have to diaper since 1997, nothing does it better than lavender. Nothing!

2. I have a very good nose, and little oddities like poopy smell gets to me. You can really see why #1 is important.

3. Lavender is from a same family as mints.

4. On the first of my 3 weddings*, we got a lavender lotion. I didn't like lavender until we got as a gift.

5. I almost stopped using this scent while reading OUTLANDER by Diana Gabaldon. My friend end up with a rabid dislike to this book, which I think is really good. So what if he spanked his wife? It's historical. One cannot change history, but we certainly can make corrections to our behavior today.

6. Lavender can be used as an herb. I've never tried this. I think lavender, I picture diapers and immediately conclude "deskunking" agent.

7. Essential oil of lavender has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.

8. An infusion of lavender is claimed to soothe and heal insect bites.

9. There is scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of some of these remedies, especially the anti-inflammatory effects, but they should be used with caution since lavender oil can also be a powerful allergen.

10. If applied to the temples, lavender oil is said to soothe headaches.

11. Lavender is soporific, and added to bath water or sprinkled on pillows aids relaxation and sleep.

12. "A preliminary finding presented at the Endocrine Society's conference last month ... suggests that shampoos, soaps and body lotions containing ... lavender may cause hormonal imbalances and breast growth in young boys".

13. Gasp! I did not know about #12. Does that mean I now have to find something else to use? I have 4 boys, I am not sure I want them to have hormonal imbalances.

*My DH is so wonderful, I had to marry him 3 times!
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

Source: Wikepedia

21 comments:

Wylie Kinson said...

What a terrific topic! I learned something new.
I use lavender scented baby wash and lotion when I'm putting my little boy to sleep, and in my own before-bed bath. AND I've even tried lavender flavored candies - which weren't as bad as I thought ;)

Anonymous said...

I suffer from frequent migraines; maybe I should find some lavender oil. Great TT! Thanks for sharing.

Angelo said...

I like lavender up to a point, too much makes me dizzy though. It does have a soothing quality, and I've tried it in cookies once? #12 is funny hehe... somebody said something similar about soy :)

I'm sitting out T13 this week, been so tired lately, sorry haven't been able to respond to comments on my blog in so long, usually just wanna crash when I get home. Nermal says thanks!

Happy Thirteening :)

Amelia Elias said...

Missy, I get migraines as well, and I've found that just a tiny dab of the essential oil on the bottom of my pillow (not the side closest to my face) is very soothing. If it's too close, or too much is applied, it makes my headaches worse, though. Give it a try!

My boys call it "sweet dream juice" because I mix a little of it with some unscented baby oil, then dab just a touch on their temples before they go to sleep.

Ingrid said...

I am very sorry, but I don't like lavender at all ! It's too sweet and breathtaking for me.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I've heard that about the feminine effects in boys, too, but I don't think the studies are conclusive yet. It'll be interesting to see.

Happy TT! Thanks for visiting West of Mars this week!

Nancy Lindquist-Liedel said...

Lavendar for smelly kids? I'm going to the store this morning. I have four boys, two in diapers. I need all the de-smellification I can get.

Jane said...

I did not know lavender was a good deodorizer. But I do love the scent.
Thanks for coming by my T13.

Sparky Duck said...

Lavender makes me sleepy, mmmm sleep

Anonymous said...

What a neat list! I didn't know all of that.

Thanks for visiting!

Anonymous said...

Lavender and Vanilla are great coverover scents

PJ said...

I can't stand the smell of Lavender, but I am currently using a Lavender facial toner as it's been recommended for my skin. Interesting TT topic.

Unknown said...

Honestly, I had no idea it had that many uses. I love the smell. :)

Rashenbo said...

I really like Lavendar. I love it's smell. I used to have this lavendar and chamomile body scrub... oh.. it was delightful! :)

I really enjoyed seeing your list! :) Take care.

Jenny McB said...

My first yoga instructor gave us eye bags that had lavender in them to put over our eyes for the last part of yoga. So soothing and I know equate lavender with sleep! Neat list!

Jenny McB said...

My first yoga instructor gave us eye bags that had lavender in them to put over our eyes for the last part of yoga. So soothing and I know equate lavender with sleep! Neat list!

Jenny McB said...

My first yoga instructor gave us eye bags that had lavender in them to put over our eyes for the last part of yoga. So soothing and I know equate lavender with sleep! Neat list!

Qtpies7 said...

Also, lavender in your steam cleaner will not only destink the carpet, and make the house smell good, but also animals will not pee on the carpet with lavender on it. Supposedly dogs don't even want to walk on it.

Andi said...

I had read Number 12...a bit alarming.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Now I know a lot about lavender! I've had three weddings, too - but only two husbands. The first and last are the same person.

Unknown said...

I love Lavender, too. But I don´t have a green thumb, so I killed two lovely plants... Since the last time I´ve murdered I didn´t get a new one... only enjoying having a bath with lavender =)