I decided to scavenged stuff about potty training this week. I have a 33 months old child and he's almost done with potty training; one more to go after him.
I have noticed that my sister's children in the Philippines tend to be potty trained early. Her older two children were potty trained by 14 months. My older three children finished potty training at almost 4! Where's the catch?
I have noticed that my sister's children in the Philippines tend to be potty trained early. Her older two children were potty trained by 14 months. My older three children finished potty training at almost 4! Where's the catch?
If you have heard of a good tip or have one of your own, please feel free to share it with me.
1. HouseDad has a good tip about taking off the night diapers first thing in the morning and putting on regular undies with an instruction to ask you when they need to take their undies off for potty.
2. A lot of people agree that it's better not to push it.
3. I am all for buying books to read about potty training.
4. I also buy all kinds of potty chairs.
5. Chairs which never get good use because my children seem to think they are toys and only stuff toys should use it.
6. Dr. Greene has load of information about it.
7. I can vouch for the needing lots patience and a nose of steel.
8. I have a child who fell asleep on top of the toilet while he was potty training. DS2 was about 20 months when he decided he can potty trained.
9. That scared me to find him asleep in the toilet like that.
10. Familydoctor.org urge to not start at all until one has time to devote to it. In that case, my children should never be potty trained as it is impossible to get that much devoted time for anything.
11. Here you can find preparation index to get an idea when to start.
12. My favorite is this 13 tips to know before starting to potty trained.
13. In my opinion, the most important measure of when to potty train is when you and your child are ready. There's really no way to tell, and I believe that it will happen when it happens. And that my friend is probably the main reason why I don't have a potty train child earlier than 2.5 and up. I'm cool with that...if only the stink is not so bad!
1. HouseDad has a good tip about taking off the night diapers first thing in the morning and putting on regular undies with an instruction to ask you when they need to take their undies off for potty.
2. A lot of people agree that it's better not to push it.
3. I am all for buying books to read about potty training.
4. I also buy all kinds of potty chairs.
5. Chairs which never get good use because my children seem to think they are toys and only stuff toys should use it.
6. Dr. Greene has load of information about it.
7. I can vouch for the needing lots patience and a nose of steel.
8. I have a child who fell asleep on top of the toilet while he was potty training. DS2 was about 20 months when he decided he can potty trained.
9. That scared me to find him asleep in the toilet like that.
10. Familydoctor.org urge to not start at all until one has time to devote to it. In that case, my children should never be potty trained as it is impossible to get that much devoted time for anything.
11. Here you can find preparation index to get an idea when to start.
12. My favorite is this 13 tips to know before starting to potty trained.
13. In my opinion, the most important measure of when to potty train is when you and your child are ready. There's really no way to tell, and I believe that it will happen when it happens. And that my friend is probably the main reason why I don't have a potty train child earlier than 2.5 and up. I'm cool with that...if only the stink is not so bad!
19 comments:
I've pottytrained 4 kids and housetrained countless dogs.
I don't stress about it. I figure, eventually, they'll get it. They won't be going to college NOT pottytrained.
:)
Selena
Wow thanks for all the great resources for potty training! I'll refer my sister-in-law to your blog hehe.... luckily for me Nermal didn't need potty training :)
A belated Happy Birthday to your son! did you get a cake already?
Happy T13!
I should be flog and de-throned from being the Queen mother here....I still hadn't gotten a cake.
Still hadn't taken my DD for a "hero's celebration" and for perfecting her standardize test.
I must do it soon because she might think it's no big deal to get really fantastic scores....Thursday...I'll probably pull her out of school and play hookey with her....or we could do it Thursday night and not let her missed school.
Decissions, decissions, decissions.
The boys were PT by the age of 2 with no accidents.
Our daughter! She is over 4 and she still won't use it.
I am laughing at number 5 because that is what she is using her potty chair for. She also colored it with crayon and marker.
If she isn't potty trained by the time she is 18 then I will start to worry. I am just waiting for her to be ready.
Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
My TT is posted.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy
School has always been our big motivator. My oldest two both started preschool at age three. They met the teacher and wanted to go but knew they couldn't go in diapers. My daughter had it down in two days. My son took longer (they say boys do), but still in time for school!
I totally agree with Selena Kitt above. I too have potty trained 5 kids and lots of animals. Seriously...when they're ready, you'll know. DO NOT push the overnight dryness until they literally wake up..DRY. It's biological..nothing you can do. It will all work out eventually.
Best wishes!
It only took me 2 weeks to potty train my then 2 year old daughter. You just have to be consistent in the training process, no exception.
For the night training, no more full glass of water/milk after 6pm. She can take sips if she wants to and I wake her up around midnight and make her pee.
I agree they will be ready when they are ready... For tips I hate diapers so I potty trained early with bribes...
I used special candies (depended on the kid), and they ONLY got a candy if they did their buisness in the potty... However, my oldest wouldn't use a kid chair, and my youngest was scared of the real toilet...
So, the oldest had a special "top" that we put on the real potty for her, and the youngest was almost 3 before she wasn't scared to potty in the big toilet...
So my advise is when you want it done bribe :)
wow 14 months! my eldest was potty trained when he was 3 years and 3 months and that was because he was starting nursery already. I still have 1 more to go! I will keep those tips in mind although a lot of people have reminded me that "it'll just happen" and "don't force it."
In my experience, it was easier in the Philippines because there is no winter. We did not need to put on so much clothes. So, my eldest daughter was trained pretty early. I think she was 11 months old when she stopped using diapers.
My second child took longer time. She was almost 3 when she was done with diapers. I sat her on the potty every morning and before she goes to bed. The summer when she was almost 3, I stopped using diapers to make her feel how comfortable it is to wear normal undies.
Each kid has their own pace, I guess and each of them has their own way of growing up. We just have to be patient.
Mine have all been late(ish), but I've let them get there in their own time. One more to go!!!
Shosh, thanks for the advice and links. Baby boy is 16 months by now and last week he started to 'show' that he needs a new diaper. Seems to be the first step. I think I'll know when he is ready without forcing it. It's great so far.
Love and hugs, Sanna
I agree with #2 and #14.
I bought those chairs too but my daughter went straight into the real one. She was ready at 2 yrs old. However the night time took a while. She wore diapers at sleep time until 4 yrs old. It was a battle and when she was ready, the battle was won.
Hey, my T13 is up.
i mean #13
My daughter potty trained early (around 2), my son took forever. I finally told him he couldn't go to Kindergarten in diapers and it happened. Maybe I should have told him that when he was two!
Naku. Pag nagka anak na ko kailangan balikan ko tong post na ito. hehe
i bought a disney character potty chair,yung ilalagay mo lang sa bowl,para ma enjoy nila ang toilet.
my smallest was earlier than my eldest.i let them play w/o any undies on summer,kaya sila na rin ang di nakatiis na walang panty the whole day,LOL!
Just relaxe. Nature is nature..
Post a Comment