Recipe Rally!

At CHBM, we've started a Tuesday thing called Recipe Rally!. The theme this week is soup. I have posted my favorite soup, a Minestrone. Please visit CHBM and post your soup recipe too.

Also, totally nothing to do with soup...my child said something cute the other day. I was going to post it for my memory, except I waited long enough so I forgot what it was. I feel terrible when this happens. I mean, wasn't I supposed to remember what my child did? I used to have really good memory. Now, I can't even remember what my DS3 said two days ago. Does this ever happen to you?

This is my second favorite recipe. I had to stop making it though because I noticed that my DS1 have violent reactions to the split pea steam. This is relatively easy. Just make sure to turn the fire low enough so the soup won't bubble over while you're reading your book.

Split Pea Soup

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, or Olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 cup chopped peeled carrots
2 teaspoons dried leaf rosemary
1 1/2 cups green split peas, washed
8 cups water
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in heavy large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery and carrots. Saute until vegetables begin to soften, approximately 8 minutes. Add rosemary; stir 1 minute. Add peas, then water, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Partially cover pot; simmer soup vegetables are tender peas are falling apart, stirring often, about 1 hour and 50 minutes.

Serves 6

7 comments:

Me said...

Shoshana, that was a good recipe. i almost have the same one but i add to it a small can of tomato paste or sauce, a bag of frozen mixed vegetables and elbow macaroni. and to make it more hearty i add to it cubed potatoes. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

CJ said...

I LOVE Split Pea Soup! I 'm going to have to try this one! I like shredded cheese and croƻtons on top of mine!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Girlie said...

Summer, that's a great idea. I would have to try it next time...although not sure when I can start making split pea soup as the steam or vapor is enough to make DS1 swell up on the face, arms, neck and just about everywhere.

Girlie said...

The Imperfect Christian, I like that moniker. I haven't tried it with croutons yet, or cheese.

I will certainly try it with my other soups.

Kathy said...

Shoshana, thanks for stopping by.
Your recipe sounds yummy.

Anonymous said...

very simple but healthy meanu,i think i wanna try this :)

I`D love to join Shoshana,but so far I have to finish my round...kawawala lang nung virus at finally i cud blog again :)

Thanx for inviting..let me see if i can...