Checking Up on Speech

I have a two years old little boy. He's tall and slim, and looks so sweet with his dark blond hair until he opens his mouth to ask for anything. He's the loudest of them all. That's not an easy record to break. With three other boys in this family, two of them older than he is, it's an impressive feat. DS3 is truly louder than anyone I know when he choose to be heard.

[Warning: this has the appearance of a mother's rambling rambles]

Today, I had doctor appointments for DS4's 9 month old check-up and DS1's 8 year old check up. They're both healthy and growing well, both their weight at 55 percentile. As part of the check-up routine, they do blood counts. DS1 was gritting his teeth as they took his blood. DS4 wasn't even aware. He was bubbling and cooing at Nurse Ester. When the nurse was done covering his fingertip with band-aid, he promptly ate his finger until the cover fell off. I thought he had stolen some sweet bubble gum, he's chewing in ecstasy!

I put him on the exam room floor as he was flipping and rolling and tumbling non-stop! When I looked back from reading my magazine, it's to the sight of my DS4 flinging droplets of blood on the floor and all over his brother's socks. DS4 was in his diapers and socks. He's still blissfully unaware that he's supposed to scream at the sight of blood.

DS4 is 21 pounds, 31 inches right now. I can't believe how fast time is. He said "Mama" "Lala" "Baba" "Vava" today. I am so thrilled because he's on his way to talking.

My older children are late talkers. At ages 10-20 months, they'll say things like "How are you?" "Stop it" "Want that choco" "What's your name?" However, from age 16 months for 4.5 years, it's like The Dark Ages. Mostly, I am the only one who can understand them. I don't worry about it now, both are on honor roll and one is on Talented and Gifted Program. Yeah, they're smart and I am proud.

That also taught me to worry about The Dark Ages for the younger ones. What if the others will do the same? So, I am taking steps to prevent it from happening. Not because I am worried they'll be stupid, but because I just want them to have a good command of their language without the $$$ for speech therapy which my kids' previous private school insisted on.

I don't know what it is about me and my household which makes my kids try their language and then stop using them for a few years before taking them up again. Seriously. It's worrisome because other parents make every opportunity to point this out to me. I would have been fine with it (figuring they'll speak when they're ready). Still, I am glad for tutoring and speech teachers who's insuring my kids will keep their words and use them as necessary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the mom of a toddler with speech delays, I sympathize. If your younger ones seem like they're going to drop behind, you might look into your state's version of Early Intervention — it's called by different names in different states, but all states (assuming you're in the US) have a free program for therapy for kids under three.

Good luck!

Girlie said...

Hello Country Mouse, thank you for stopping by. I have checked into EI program here in our state. My child gets 1 hour session every week...it's really helping him great strides towards speech. I am thrilled!

My kids are really smart and agile, and quick-thinking...it's just that speech seems to fall on the wayside for them until around 5.