I am very sure that my DS3 would be horrified that his dearest Mommy is blogging about his constipation. He's already famous for it a year ago when I went hunting all over the place for prunes baby food. I cannot find any on the stores I went to. Nothing. Not a single one was sold in Wal-Mart, Target, Tom Thumb, Albertsons, Wal-greens, CVS, and other Mom-N-Pops I stopped by. I had to resort to begging on my favorite BB for some prunes. I was really thankful to Tebble and Peggy. They also didn't make me beg at all. They're really wonderful ladies. They sent me Gerbers prunes, and DS3 was constipation-free for a long while.
A few days ago, he was in pain again. Not even Babylux did wonders. He's so backed-up. Emergency room trip seemed really eminent. DH went out to get a child-sized enema.
So, my WFMW tip is: When a child less than 3 years is constipated try any of the following before high-tailing it to the ER.
- Caro syrup, dark, 1-2 tbsp.
- Prunes on diet
- 1-2 tbsp mineral oil
- Babylux
Only one at a time, and wait to see if it works. I think Caro syrup and Babylux are alright to mix. Prunes too probably. I wouldn't give mineral oil and Babylux together thought, it seems overkill.
WFMW guidelines can be found here.
5 comments:
When my baby started solid food she got constipated and prunes didn't work. The only thing I found that worked for her was 100% whole wheat bread, torn into super tiny bite sized pieces. Since I started feeding it to her, she has had no problems at all. Maybe it would help your DS? I sure hope he feels better soon.
Stacitee, thank you for the tip on wheat bread. I am going to try it. It's really hard to watch your baby in pain and not being able to help.
One word - Miralax. Yes, it is short for miracle laxative. DD was constipated for a YEAR. Doctor did not take it seriously. Guess I should have videotaped her turning purple trying to poop. Switched doctors and she was cured overnight. Miralax, which now even has a generic, is an odorless, tasteless powder that you mix in with their drink. Works like a charm. Would have paid millions for it. Worked when prune juice, Triscuits, shredded wheat, and everything else we could think of failed. Love it.
That is the worst feeling to watch them in pain like that.
Our nurse, at the time, had recommended the dark Karo syrup. I put that into my son's bottle until we finally cleared up the problem.
I had tried the prunes, but they have a very distinct taste and he would not eat them or drink his bottle with prune juice mixed in.
Hope your little one is feeling better soon!
The ped always told me that baby foods starting with a "P" will usually result in poop. And it does! Except prunes. Maybe that is better for geriatric digestive systems.
Post a Comment